Chocolate Ginger Hazelnut Cake
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
4 Tablespoons dark chocolate, chopped fine
Icing1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoons vanilla
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x9 inch square baking dish.
- Put butter, sugar and molasses into a medium pot and stir over low heat until butter has melted. Turn off heat once butter has melted and stir in chocolate.
- Add flour, spices and baking soda to pot, and stir well.
- Add milk, egg and stir until smooth.
- Pour into pan. Bake 45-50 minutes, until tester inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- To make the frosting. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, confectioners sugar, and cocoa. Beat in vanilla, 2 Tbsp milk. If icing is to thick add more milk 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Spread icing over cake and garnish with hazelnuts to serve.
Original Chocolate Ginger Hazelnut Cake Recipe found at Grandmothers Kitchen Recipes.