Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Recipe - Granny's butter pie

I was just scrolling through my posts for this blog and realized that I'd never shared with you my Grandmother's recipe for butter pie. We all called her Granny, and here she is:


She was a wonderful woman who I have extremely fond memories of. She knew I loved this pie, and we spent every Sunday evening after church at her house. We'd go to church at New Harmony Baptist Church with my grandmother and a lot of my family. Then we'd go to her house for lunch. We'd take clothes to change into, and spend the afternoon there. Her house was awesome:


It was a wonderful place to spend a Sunday afternoon. And she almost always made a butter pie because she knew I loved them so. 

For a good long while, there wasn't a written recipe for the butter pie; then my aunt's homemaker group put out a cookbook, and wanted her pie recipe in it. So, one of my cousins went down there one day and measured as she made one of her butter pies; and so we had a recipe. Now, I share it with you. Note that if you don't cook the filling part just right, sometimes it won't want to set up. Even my grandmother had that happen to her. But don't let it phase you, it still tastes good. Also, you will need a double boiler for this recipe.

Now, on to the recipe.

Granny's Butter Pie

1 to 1-1/2 cups water
1/2 to 1 stick margarine
1 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla
3 heaping T. flour
1 baked pie shell

In a double boiler, add the water and margarine; and cook, stirring frequently, until margarine is melted. Then add sugar, and stir until sugar is dissolved.  Then add the vanilla, and stir. Next add the flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring well. Continue to cook, while stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened. Pour into baked pie shell and cool.  Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment